Ride Leader Pre-Ride Meeting Checklist
1. Items to have for the ride include: Sign-In Sheet, Waivers (adult rider, adult passenger, minor passenger), Incident Reports.
2. Welcome riders and introduce yourself. Select and introduce sweep rider(s). If splitting the ride into multiple groups, introduce all leader(s) and sweep(s) and have riders stand with their group.
3. Outline itinerary for the day; review route, stops and destination.
4. Talk about staggered formation basics and single file conditions.
5. Review the hand signals you may use during the ride and remind riders to pass them along in the formation.
6. Go over how to handle group separations.
7. Check that everyone has a full gas tank and ask if anyone’s bike will need gas in a shorter distance than you have planned for the fuel stops.
8. Go over the pace for the ride.
9. Ask if there are any new riders, or new to group riding riders – place them up front, behind and to the right of the ride leader.
10. If there are trikes, position them in the rear of the group. Remind all riders that trikes have the whole lane; they do not ride staggered formation.
11. Remind all riders to “Ride your own ride” – “You are responsible for your own safety”. When in doubt, pull out of the group and just meet up at the stops at their own pace.
Ride safe and have FUN!